Monitor and Evaluate Noise
This unit will soon be superseded and replaced by MSS025025.
This unit of competency covers the ability to monitor noise using handheld sound level meters and fixed sound monitoring stations with either data logging or telemetry. It includes the ability to perform noise surveys, process data and report results in accordance with legislative requirements, standards, codes and workplace standards.
The study program consists of a combination of online self-paced learning, a formal tutorial with your trainer, practical field work, completion of assignments and a formal presentation of an agreed topic.
- Students without a degree or prior experience are enrolled at AQF Level 5 (Diploma level).
- Mentored training is provided either in person or via Skype or similar.
- Assignments are set in each module and must be satisfactorily completed.
- Completion times are flexible with the student.
Study Guides1 to 4 are the ‘theory’ modules and have assignments for you to complete. The theory modules are completed before you attend the classroom tutorials. You are required to complete all of the online questions before starting the practical assessments.
- Study Guide 1 Noise Measurement and Analysis
- Study Guide 2 Basic Acoustic Principles
- Study Guide 3 Legislation, standards and guidelines
- Study Guide 4 Instrumentation and Practical Surveys
Online Basic observation report and final report - Practical noise surveys, contains practical applications to illustrate the basics of monitoring and evaluating noise. The practical training, by way of surveys, is provided as part of your classroom tutorials. It includes assignment questions to verify that the essential "Underpinning Knowledge" has been achieved.
You are also required to complete three (3) practical assignments (monitoring and evaluation reports) to be undertaken at your home or workplace.
The course covers the skills and knowledge required to competently apply a range of methods and technologies to conduct noise monitoring and evaluation. Our course is designed for:
- field staff, site coordinators, Health & Safety Representatives;
- managers and senior personnel employed by workplaces and unions in a wide range of industry sectors, e.g. manufacturing, building and construction, certification and audit
- regulatory authorities involved with noise assessment, evaluation and compliance
- professionals requiring skill and knowledge validation in the field of practical noise monitoring and evaluation
Each qualification, unit of competency or training module offered by Acoustar has a set fee for a training program provided at our Brisbane Training Centre.
It is Acoustar's policy that the fee is all-inclusive for tuition, support and coaching, specified textbooks (PDF versions), and use of our classroom/facilities in Brisbane. Fees and expenses are specified along with any additional requirements.
When there are additional requirements, normally associated with a training program (for example; reference material, research documents, own computer) the Student will be clearly advised of exactly what is required prior to commencement of the program or course.
Training Programs Off-Site
Our standard fees apply plus actual reasonable costs of providing the training program at any location outside of Brisbane. Fees are based on travel costs, accommodation, and staff travel time and calculated on an ‘actual and reasonable’ basis and include GST.
Training Program Fees are published in our Fees Policy.
Fees for a single student in a mentored program are:
MSS025008 (AQF Level 5) $1480.00 (GST exempt)
MSS025008 (AQF Level 8) $1480.00 (GST exempt)
Students are entitled to apply for Recognition of Prior Learning.
Continuing Professional Development Courses
Continuing professional development courses are offered based on content from the Certificate IV or MSS units. Please call Acoustar to discuss availability and fees.
AQF Level 5 Entry Requirements
A student can apply for the MSS025008 Monitor and evaluate noise unit at the Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF) Level 5 without any previous knowledge or qualifications. A good standard of English is required, as well as literacy and numeracy skills. MSS025008 is a unit from MSS50218 Diploma of Environmental Monitoring and Technology.
AQF Level 8 Entry Requirements
MSS025008 Monitor & Evaluate Noise is also available at post-graduate level, and is a pre-requisite for MSS027022 Co-ordinate Noise Management Activities. Both MSS025008 and MSS027022 are units from MSS80218 Graduate Certificate in Environmental Management. Entrants to study for this Unit are required to have one of the following:
- relevant higher education qualification or equivilent industry experience
- MSS50218 Diploma of Environmental Monitoring and Technology, together with work experience at a senior or advanced level in environmental monitoring and technology or a relevant technical field
Recognition of Prior Learning
Recognition of Prior Learning is permitted at both AQF Level 5 and AQF Level 8. Please contact Acoustar if you would like more details.
Before submitting an enrolment form, you must read the Student Handbook.
If you are ready to enrol, please download the enrolment form.