Monitor & Evaluate Noise
|Don't need a formal qualification?
Study this course as individual Continuing Professional Development modules.
This unit of competency covers the ability to monitor noise using handheld sound level meters and fixed sound monitoring stations with either data logging or telemetry. It includes the ability to perform noise surveys, process data and report results in accordance with legislative requirements, standards, codes and workplace standards. The unit is the first part of a Noise Management skillset. It is the pre-requisite to the second unit in the skillset, MSS027008 Coordinate noise management activities.
The study program consists of a combination of online self-paced learning, a formal 2-day classroom tutorial with your trainer, practical field work, completion of assignments and a formal presentation of an agreed topic. The program is designed to be completed in 75 hours’ within 12-months from enrolment for AQF Level 5, and 100 hours at AQF Level 8.
- Students studying at AQF Level 5 (Diploma level) are required to satisfactorily complete Modules 1 to 7.
- Students studying at AQF Level 8 (Graduate Certificate level) are required to satisfactorily complete Modules 1 to 7 and one of the Optional Modules 8 to 12.
- Mentored training is provided either in person or via Skype or similar.
- Assignments are set in each module and must be satisfactorily completed.
- Some students may be able to complete in less time, some may take longer.
Modules 1 to 6 are the ‘theory’ modules and have assignments for you to complete. The theory modules are completed before you attend the classroom tutorials.
- Module 1 Noise evaluation in practice
- Module 2 Legislation, standards and guidelines
- Module 3 Basic acoustics principles
- Module 4 Sound and noise measurements
- Module 5 Noise monitoring instruments
- Module 6 Sound propagation and noise mapping
Module 7 Practical noise surveys, contains practical applications to illustrate the basics of monitoring and evaluating noise. The practical training, by way of surveys, is provided as part of your classroom tutorials. It includes questions to verify that the essential "Underpinning Knowledge" has been achieved.
You are also required to complete three (3) practical assignments (monitoring and evaluation reports) to be undertaken at your home or workplace.
Modules for AQF Level 8 Students
Modules 8 to 12: One module must be chosen from Modules 8 to 12 for persons taking MSS025008 at Level 8 Professional Level.
The Module you choose from the following 5 options is completed at home or at work:
- Module 8 Environmental noise monitoring and evaluation (Option ENV)
- Module 8S Wind farm noise monitoring and evaluation (Option ENV-W)
- Module 9 Workplace noise monitoring and evaluation (Option WP)
- Module 10 Building acoustics monitoring and evaluation (Option BLDG)
The ‘Optional’ Module has three (3) practical assignments (monitoring and evaluation reports) to be undertaken at your home or workplace.
To complete the training program you must also satisfactorily complete:
- A short (15 to 30 minute) presentation on an agreed topic. This is normally with your trainer but an independent assessor may be your reviewer
- The presentation may be in person or by remote access via Skype (or similar) or email with powerpoint (or similar)
Who is this course designed for?
The course covers the skills and knowledge required to competently apply a range of methods and technologies to conduct noise monitoring and evaluation. Our course is designed for:
- field staff, site coordinators, Health & Safety Representatives;
- managers and senior personnel employed by workplaces and unions in a wide range of industry sectors, e.g. manufacturing, building and construction, certification and audit
- regulatory authorities involved with noise assessment, evaluation and compliance
- professionals requiring skill and knowledge validation in the field of practical noise monitoring and evaluation
Each qualification, unit of competency or training module offered by Acoustar has a set fee for a training program provided at our Brisbane Training Centre.
It is Acoustar's policy that the fee is all-inclusive for tuition, support and coaching, specified textbooks (PDF versions), and use of our classroom/facilities in Brisbane. Fees and expenses are specified along with any additional requirements.
When there are additional requirements, normally associated with a training program (for example; reference material, research documents, own computer) the Student will be clearly advised of exactly what is required prior to commencement of the program or course.
Training Programs Off-Site
Our standard fees apply plus actual reasonable costs of providing the training program at any location outside of Brisbane. Fees are based on travel costs, accommodation, and staff travel time and calculated on an ‘actual and reasonable’ basis and include GST.
Training Program Fees are published in our Fees Policy
Fees for a single student in a mentored program are:
- MSS025008 (AQF Level 5) $1480.00 (GST exempt)
- MSS025008 (AQF Level 8) $2240.00 (GST exempt)
Students are entitled to apply for Recognition of Prior Learning.
Individual Certificate IV units can be studied separately from taking the complete Certificate program.
Continuing Professional Development Courses
Continuing professional development courses are offered based on content from the Certificate IV or MSS units. Please call Acoustar to discuss availability and fees.
Payment of Fees
Full fees are payable at the commencement of training.
AQF Level 5 Entry Requirements
A student can apply for the MSS025008 Monitor and evaluate noise unit at the Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF) Level 5 without any previous knowledge or qualifications. A good standard of English is required, as well as literacy and numeracy skills. MSS025008 is a unit from MSS50216 Diploma of Environmental Monitoring.
AQF Level 8 Entry Requirements
MSS025008 Monitor & Evaluate Noise is also available at post-graduate level, and is a pre-requisite for MSS027008 Co-ordinate Noise Management Activities. Both MSS025008 and MSS027008 are units from MSS80216 Graduate Certificate in Environmental Management. Entrants to study for this Unit are required (see MSS80216, myskills.gov.au) to have one of the following:
- relevant extensive vocational practice without formal qualifications
- a relevant Diploma, such as MSS50216 Diploma of Environmental Monitoring and Technology, together with significant relevant vocational practice
- a Bachelor Degree in Environmental Management, Environmental Science or Science in a relevant discipline, such as chemistry, ecology or geology
- a relevant higher education qualification, with relevant vocational practice
Recognition of Prior Learning
Recognition of Prior Learning is permitted at both AQF Level 5 and AQF Level 8. Please contact Acoustar if you would like more details.